Ads 468x60px

Monday, April 30, 2012

SL Airport Expo Blog Spotlight: Ashone Mahogony


QUESTIONS RELATED TO YOUR SL AIRPORT:

1.  What inspired you to create your airport in Second Life?
For an aviation nut like myself, the idea of having my own airfield, was too tempting to resist.
My original shop was on a 512m plot, in the middle of a laggy sim. It wasnt good for business and didnt allow for future expansion, so I bought a larger plot of land, in a great location. This allowed me more than enough space and prims, to have a private home and public airfield in the same place - with the runway I needed, for customers to test my products.

2.  Tell us about your airport, what were your aims and goals in Second Life, when you created it?   
Aside from needing a better home for the shop, I also wanted a headquarters for my formation flying group: British Red Arrows Tribute Team. The airfield buildings incorporate a recruitment office downstairs and a team briefing room above.Aspiring Red Arrows pilots may pick up an application form from the desk in our recruiting office.

Because the location is good for air and water access to the seas further South (Blakes and Nautilus), I envisaged it as a useful starting point, either for customers wanting to fly their new aircraft home, or for casual visitors looking for somewhere different to fly from. The sea corridor up to the Northern continents is nearby, too - for people wanting a trip North.

3.  Is your airport modeled or inspired after a real life airport?    If so which one?
No - this is just designed to make best use of the room available, for my modest requirements

4.  How long have you owned your airport?  is your airport opened to the general public?  Is a group required to rezz?  What are some activities or items that people can do at your airport?
I opened here in early February 2011, so 14 months in this location. There are Demo aircraft rezzers on the runway and watercraft rezzers down on the beach. Visitors can try/fly any of the vehicles they are interested in.  All of my demos are Temp, so there's no littering in the neighbouring sims.

I like people to have fun, when they come and visit. They can bring friends and chill on the beach, play with the demos, rez a t00b or surfboard, etc. The beach has direct access to the adjacent Linden water, so there's plenty of room to play.

The airfield and beach are normally open to the public (unless there's an exclusive beach event going on for the Owner's Club). My house is private and I prefer visitors to enter by invitation only.

Normally, rezzing is group only (Ashone Aircraft Owner's Club) but I often allow 'anyone' to rez, if requested. Demo rezzers can be used by anyone, as they dont require the group tag. The club is primarily for owners of my aircraft but anyone may join, as a Free Member.

5.  We are thrilled to have your airport come to our SL Airport Expo and be a part of Aviation Month! What inspired you to take part?
I'm a firm proponent of raising awareness of Second Life aviation, to a wider populace. I often get visitors who are only just discovering SL aviation, even oldbies of several years ! Many flyers only use the larger, well-known airports - simply because they are unaware of smaller places like mine.We are based in a quiet sim, with hardly any passing traffic, so it would be nice to see a few more aviators using the facilities.

QUESTIONS RELATED TO YOU:

1.  How long have you been in Second Life?
Three and a half years - joined in Nov 2008.


2.  What made you first join Second Life?
A significant change in my personal life, meant I was stuck at home most of the time. I needed a stimulating activity to keep my mind active and SL provided a focus for my technical skills and an outlet for my creativity.

3.   What are some of the strangest things you have experienced or seen in Second Life?
Haha - where do you want to start? Second Life is built on a foundation of 'strange' - if you stick a random pin in the map, you are sure to hit something unusual !

4.  Other than owning an airport in Second Life and being interested in aviation, what are some other things you like to do while you are in Second Life?
In my early days, I used to enjoy exploring with a rl friend - seeing weird and wonderful places and having fun. Nowadays, I'm too busy to go exploring and the friend isn't around much, so motivation isnt really there.
I get a kick out of expanding my skill set - improving on the quality of what I know and what I'm capable of making. In addition to inworld building/scripting, I'm also working to hone my offline sculpting & texturing abilities.

5.  If you could invite anyone from RL into SL, who would it be?  
* Myself from 20 years ago... back then, the possibilities would've blown my mind."In the 21st Century, this is what happens, when you put amazing tools in the hands of millions of creative people"...

* UK Chancellor of the Exchequer, to show him that 20% VAT on virtual services, like LL tier and premium fees, really sucks.

You can visit Ash Studios Aviation Shop and Airfield by clicking the slurl below:
Ash Studios Aviation Shop and Airfield

SL Marketplace Shop: https://marketplace.secondlife.com/stores/103586?id=103586

Visit Ash's Blog:  Ash's Blog Link


No comments:

Post a Comment