Ads 468x60px

Saturday, April 28, 2012

SL Airport Expo Blog Spotlight: Mot Mann


QUESTIONS RELATED TO YOUR SL AIRPORT:


1.  What inspired you to create your airport in Second Life?
When I first started in SL almost 7 years ago, I built an airstrip in the sky and lived there. I never came down to the ground until a neighbor flew up and told me to come down because everybody wanted to meet me. Ever since then I had an airstrip somewhere until I finally built Flanders Field airport several years ago. My wife and best friend in real life joined SL soon after I did, followed by several of my wife's Nursing friends. We all liked to fly so the airstrip got bigger.

We formed a group of stunt pilots called the Flying Eagles. It was a lot of fun back then when SL was still new, no lag, no ban lines, sim crossings were smooth and not noticed. We put on several shows of stunt flying and some precision flying in formation, deleting the planes in flight and coming down in parachutes. Then as Second life grew, sim crossings got bad, ban lines were popping up everywhere and we quit flying for a while except on a personal basis. The airstrip was used for elephant racing, dancing, and a place to gather. When we flew we had to clear the airstrip.

2.  Tell us about your airport, what were your aims and goals in Second Life, when you created it?   
I only wanted a place to fly at first. Back then the only other airport around was Abbotts Aerodrome belonging to Cubey Terra. The airstrip got bigger and it grew over the years and I added more hangers for planes. I finally rebuilt the airport as Flanders Field is now. There is an Airport Building with a lounge, hangers for our planes, and since we are all full sized residents as well as Tiny Aviators, we have a tiny hanger. There is balloon parking and airship docks as well for our use.

3.  Is your airport modeled or inspired after a real life airport?    If so which one?
It is just an airport which I made as practical as I could and named it for my wife in RL and SL, Cat Flanders. The airport is Flanders Field. I guess I'm just a romantic :)

4.  How long have you owned your airport?  is your airport opened to the general public?  Is a group required to rezz?  What are some activities or items that people can do at your airport?
I've had the current airport for 3 years although it existed in some form for the last 7 years. Flanders Field is open to the public as are all my lands. Anybody can rez vehicles here, there are no restrictions. we patrol the land daily for objects left behind and return them to their owners.

Besides the airport property I own the connecting sim along the waterfront. We have a park with a small dance floor there, nothing special, just a place to enjoy a dance. There is also a boat dock area which is always full but we keep a boat launch area clear for  anybody to launch a low prim boat or float plane. There is a beach house that's open and a swimming deck on the water with a diving board. There is a reef with a mermaid house and an underwater viewing area if you can find the door to get there. The whole waterfront is constantly being developed and changed until we find a really good solution.

Everything we do is for the enjoyment of the public. I don't believe in ban lines so it's all open to enjoy. There are six Linden water sims beyond the waterfront to sail or fly with no restrictions.

5.  We are thrilled to have your airport come to our SL Airport Expo and be a part of Aviation Month! What inspired you to take part?
This is a relatively quiet place on the old Heterocera Atoll continent. We don't get many visitors here and it would be nice to have someone stop by to chat once in a while. The airport is listed on the Airport Map.

QUESTIONS RELATED TO YOU:

1.  How long have you been in Second Life?
almost 7 years

2.  What made you first join Second Life?
I saw an article about Second Life on one of the web sites I visit and being a retired engineer it attracted my attention.

3.   What are some of the strangest things you have experienced or seen in Second Life?
I've seen a lot in my time here but nothing seems strange anymore in a place where you can do or be anything you want. Twice now I've seen a giant woman here, must have been 9 to 10 m tall and I still can't find anything about them, they were awesome and very real.

4.  Other than owning an airport in Second Life and being interested in aviation, what are some other things you like to do while you are in Second Life?
I am a builder and I constantly have some projects going. We all live on lag free planets in space to keep the land free. Our airport is about as complete as we can make it now so I'm rebuilding the waterfront. I also enjoy swimming in the ocean and sailing the seas.

5.  If you could invite anyone from RL into SL, who would it be?
I can't think of anyone that isn't here already. This is an awesome world filled with awesome people.

No comments:

Post a Comment